Reasons to choose RFY to get more writing done.
Happy New Year! Most of us will have a resolution to finish the book, start the book, get more writing done on the book, or the PhD, poetry et cetera. Taking yourself away from it all to a writing retreat is often the best way for many of us to get this done, finally. Here are some of the reasons why people are choosing us – see below in our Top Reasons to Book with Retreats For You- Can you think of another one?
From now on this newsletter will also feature some important information for writers, for instance the list of writing competitions in 2018; some new online courses available; and a humble confession by a top writer about facing the crippling issue of writer’s block.
Also here are links to our events this year so far – including screenwriting in June, complex characters in March, and a week for unpublished writers with a top editor who can give you advice. Look out for our first yoga week in April, with lots more coming later in the year (keep checking our website) and also for the first time, a photography weekend (20th April), eg bring you hubby whilst you stay & write! (Add links to each)
Plus — next time, some big news about new renovations and a super competition to win a stay here.
Reasons Writers Come Back to Retreats For You :
- Great English location. Fabulous historical venue in 1600s grade 2 listed thatched house with quaint rooms, plus lots of nooks and crannies to tuck yourself away in, some with lovely views. Warm and cosy.
- Picturesque Environment. Beautiful North Devon countryside on the doorstep to enjoy If you want to take a daily walk (with or without our two friendly resident chocolate labradors, Daisy & Grace) or take a trip out one day, including the scenic beaches on the nearby Devon or Cornwall coast.
- Flexible Dates. A chance to write when you need to – dates to suit yourself as we are open all year round, mainly Monday to Friday, most weeks each month. Some weekends also available. (Please email us about those). Some separately priced workshops are also on offer with experienced tutors (see events page).
- Be as sociable or as focused as you wish. Mix with like-minded people, (unlike solitary B&B or hotel venues.) Share a glass of wine, at the nightly ‘wine o’clock’ get together- if you wish. Sit in the comfortable lounge, (seats nine or 10 easily) around a roaring wood burner log fire. We have a piano, which has been put to good use by some guests. Eat with everyone else, or just tuck yourself away and have your dinner on a tray, you can be as sociable or as focussed as you wish. NB we endeavour to take bookings for writers when other writers are staying.
– Writing groups are also welcome to book the whole venue exclusively.
– Tutors can also do the same and have exclusive use of our venue for their own courses. (See events diary)
- Wonderful home-cooked meals all day long – almost all retreats are full board. Wine is included at dinner time. Plus hot drinks, and home made snacks all included in the very low fee (2017 was £90pppn). We accommodate different diet preferences as well eg almond milk, etc, and have gut friendly options on offer e.g. miso soup & sauerkraut.
- Mini home gym in the studio, inc pilates machine so you can take a break and stretch out in between writing sessions. Or if you prefer, there is a fully tuned piano which you are welcome to take advantage of. In addition we have a TV room with Sky
- Making your muscles more comfy. But for those on a deadline with hours of writing to do, sitting still for long periods is made easier with optional orthopaedic cushions, and massage devices that can pound your shoulders or your lower back whilst you write! Or spend 15 minutes in our electric massage shiatsu massage chair.
- Therapists on offer. Plus you can book an appointment with a visiting massage therapist or visit the reflexologist not far away, or go to a yoga session at nearby Nimblelimbs yoga studio. Please note we also offer several times a year a ‘yoga for writers’ retreat where we have two sessions a day in the Village Hall, just 50 yards away.
- Excellent sleep. Comfortable beds featuring memory foam, and high threadcount Egyptian cotton sheets. Sleeping is important so we also provide hot water bottles when needed, sleep sprays and balms, even earplugs should you need them , although the village is renowned to be very very quiet.
- Beautiful bathtimes. Lots of lotions and potions, and beautiful bubbles for you to use during your stay and a shared bathroom upstairs with a built-in shower cubicle /bath and electric shower. There is also a second bathroom downstairs. We are in the process of planning two ensuite bathrooms, watch this space.
- Help with writing your novel. We offer tutored treats several times per year, and a library full of ‘how to’ books when you need them, plus Debbie is a published writer and can help with basic information.
- Don’t just come alone. From time to time we have opportunities to combine your stay and bring your partner, for instance the photography workshop (eg weekend of April 20th) where your partner or friend can improve their camera skills and you can pay the reduced fee to share their room and write. I’ll watch out for our occasional non-writers weeks, e.g. Bodyblade fitness week, Qvc Viewers week, craft week (tbc) ; or just get four other friends and book the place out for the week and we will look after you during your stay.
- Plus other conveniences to make your life easier so you’re not just stuck in the middle of nowhere.
– The house has very good Wi-Fi with three broadband hubs throughout.
– We have an air printer which you can print from if needed using your smart phone.
– We have installed surge protection extension boards in every room so there is ample plug space, including USB sockets for charging.
– There is a landline on which you can receive or make calls for free.
– We use Yankee candles throughout and put fresh flowers in each room as well as tea and coffee making facilities, a hairdryer, slippers and extra blankets in each room.
– Plus every bedroom has a radiator with its own thermostat and a separate heater if you get very cold.
– Our dining room has a ‘help yourself all day long’ set up, for toast, cakes and snacks, tea and coffee including many herbal choices, ground or instant coffee and decaf tea and coffee are also available.
– We make our bread on the premises and also home make our probiotic yogurt. In the summer we grow some of our own vegetables, or we may source them locally and organically where ever possible.
- Shop and Pub. There is a Gastro pub 50 yards away, and the village shop is well-stocked and has a post office, open a few hours a day. The nearest small town is just eight minutes drive away with a Co-op, and other larger towns are nearby with shops including Waitrose and a cinema (Okehampton.)
- Reserve your stay by paying £30 deposit, balance due on or before arrival for most retreats. Bank transfer, PayPal ETC. More info on our website Retreatsforyou.co.uk or just email us Info@retreatsforyou.co.uk
Comprehensive list, by month: https://www.dystopianstories.com/writing-competitions-contests/
Online Writing Courses Released
Harry Bingham who runs Writers’ Workshop has released news about their online courses. They are also a fabulous resource for the annual York festival for writers.
Top Writer Talks about overcoming Writer’s Block – on a Twit-Blog
Mentor and tutor at Retreats For You, Julie Cohen, (award-winning Richard and Judy author), faced something last year she had never experienced before. Read her story here in a short Twitter blog that gives us all hope. It even happens to an experienced author!
Watch out for another Julie Cohen RFY retreat coming soon!
Sometimes the simplest lunches are the most delicious. We try to make them healthy, and diverse. Home made soup is very often available.
A big hit last September during the Julie Cohen course when we had 8 to cater for! Fresh Mediterranean vegetables roasted; a big platter of mozzarella, avocado, beef tomatoes, and basil; fresh pasta drizzled in Olive Oil , and salad. Oh and flapjacks and some banana bread for those who want to indulge afterwards!
Hope your 2018 is going well. Do come and join us in the Springtime – it’s brighter and warmer but chances are you’ll not feel compelled to be outside because of a bit of sunshine! Book now before price increases start in March.
Debs, Wendy & team x